> Práctica: Culture & stereotypes
> Notes: Define PRODUCTS, PRACTICES, and PERSPECTIVES
> Tarea #24: Research & answer these questions:
1) What PRODUCTS and PRACTICES are associated with Halloween in the United States?
2) Why do people celebrate it? Include A) Historical perspective and B) Modern perspective [List sources]
3) Is Halloween celebrated in Spanish-speaking countries? Which? How is it different?
4) Why do you think it is different?
Tues. Oct 28:
> Práctica: Cultural perceptions of death in U.S.
> Notes: Three columns to list products, practices, perspectives of Día de los Muertos that you learn about by watching these videos:
Día de los Muertos videos:
- Viva Calaca music video
- MisCositas in-flight movie
- Traditional village (British Airways commercial)
- Anthropology student explains traditions
- Howcast: How to Celebrate Day of the Dead
- La Catrina, Altar and Champurrado
- CG animation
Wed. Oct 29
VIDEO: What is Día de los Muertos?
>Práctica: What is Día de los Muertos?
For reference: http://holidaygiftshq.com/what-is-the-meaning-of-halloween/
>> Mini-project: Making an ofrenda that represents yourself. Pretend you have dies, and your family has decided to construct a Mexican-style altar to celebrate your memory on Día de los Muertos. Draw an altar and the objects listed in the instructions here, then describe each of the items on the altar, and why they were significant. Remember, use preterite to describe the past, and use third person (he/she) to talk about yourself from the perspective of your family members.
Thurs. Oct 30:
- Howcast: How to make a Day of the Dead altar
Fri. Oct 31:
> 1-2 sentence summaries of the scary videos we watched (total about 4-6 sentences)